Monday, November 3, 2008

Croup

Sorry I haven't updated in a while - it's been a bit of a whirlwind weekend. We had a great time on Halloween (I'll post pics soon) and all went to bed happy. Around 2am on Saturday morning, Acadia woke up struggling to breath and coughing. I was ready to take her to the ER, but luckily Matt suggested calling our pediatrician. When Matt explained Acadia's symptoms to the doctor, he diagnosed her with croup. For those of you whose children have had croup, you know that there isn't much you can do besides steam and short periods of cold air. Matt and I took turns on Friday night rocking with her, taking her into the bathroom with the shower as hot as it would go, and taking her outside on the porch quickly for some cold air.

We made it through Friday night, and she seemed ok on Saturday - acting like herself and eating pretty normally. Saturday night, my mom had been planning on coming over and watching Acadia while Matt and I went out to dinner. Because Acadia seemed to be ok and because croup isn't contagious to adults, we went out to dinner and headed to the store to upgrad the humidifier we had for Acadia's room.

Saturday and Sunday night, she slept through the night, which was a shock to us. She's been pretty clingy and not eating well, but when I spoke to the doctor's office this morning, they told me that the important thing right now is that she drink plenty of fluids.

I'll update you when she's feeling better :)

5 comments:

Kimmie said...

Tanner had croup when he was under 3 months... he lived in our bathroom all steamed up in his swing... it's tough to watch a kid go through it, but is does get gradually better, day by day.
Good luck Jenny !

Kyler said...

oh no! poor little peanut. Maxwell has never had it (knock on wood) but I have heard it is a nightmare. Let me know if there is anything you need!

SpunkyToes said...

I'm sorry she is sick. Hopefully she is on the mend and you guys all get some needed rest.

Carla said...

I hope she's feeling better soon. Croup is not fun at all.

Get better soon, Acadia!

Holly said...

It always sucks when the little ones are sick, but on the plus side, there is always lots of "cuddle time" involved. We hope she is feeling better.